Dr Paul Marks
Speciality: Clinical Director
Dr Paul Marks is a radiologist specialising on sports and spinal imaging and treatment.
He graduated from Monash University medicine in 1989 with honours. Prior to radiology, he worked for several years as an emergency registrar and locum general practitioner.
His training in radiology was at the Austin Hospital graduating in 2000.
After completing a dual fellowship in Sports Imaging in Australia and San Francisco, he worked as Director of Radiology at Ringwood Private Hospital, which specialises in oncology.
He then spent the following 10 years as Director at The Avenue Private hospital in Windsor.
Here he gained extensive experience in Orthopaedic and Spinal medicine.
For the last three years he has been a Director at AAMI stadium working with the Olympic Park Sports Medicine physicians.
Dr Marks has a strong belief in education and training lecturing extensively in Australia and internationally. He has run a successful radiology fellowship training program for many years and has worked closely with the Australian Physiotherapy Association providing specialist lectures for their Masters students.
He has published numerous peer-reviewed articles and overseen PhD and Masters level research.
Dr Marks has developed a strong following for his gentle manner and injection techniques.
He specializes in all forms of sports and spinal injections.
His career highlights include:
- Game Day Imaging and treatment at four successful AFL premierships (2008, 2013, 2014 and 2015).
- Dr Marks has worked closely with the Hawthorn Football Club over several years providing game day imaging and intervention for the players.
- His media appearances include Fox Sports Insider where he diagnosed and treated Jason Dunstall’s hamstring injury, Dr Sally Cockburn (Dr Feelgood) radio program on foot injury and SEN’s Daniel Harford show on sports injections.
- Stem cell research into regeneration of knee joint articular cartilage (ABC Catalyst July 2009).
- He has been involved with Muththiah Muralitharan (Murali) shoulder imaging and treatment when his career seemed over.
- Dr Marks has been involved in the imaging and treatment of hundreds of AFL players and elite athletes pioneering new forms of injection techniques to extend the life of player’s knees.